How to Clean Your Origami Owl Silver Plated Chains


I admit, I'm not very good at wiping off my jewelry when I take it off and I tend to wear my favorite pieces day after day.  When I got my new Origami Owl lockets, charms and dangles, I pulled out some of the chains I hadn't worn in a while and discovered a few of them had tarnished in a few places.  

As the chains are silver plated, I decided to try an old recipe I had used to remove tarnish from a silver tea set using simple household ingredients. I love that this recipe uses ingredients everyone has in their homes and no harsh chemicals. 


How to do:
  1. Line a bowl with aluminum foil
  2. Heat a cup of water in the microwave to Hot (not boiling)
  3. Add a teaspoon of table salt and a teaspoon of baking soda to the cup and stir to dissolve
  4. Pour into the foil lined bowl
  5. Add silver plated chains
  6. Soak 10-15 minutes, depending on amount of tarnish
  7. Remove chains and wash with soap and water
  8. Dry with soft cloth and let air dry several hours before wearing


Soak between 10-15 minutes will remove most tarnish.  If your pieces are severely tarnished, it might take several hot water/salt/baking soda soaks to remove.

To keep tarnish at bay, wipe down your chains when you take them off at night. (Don't sleep in them, please...the lockets are fragile.)


I apologize for my blurry photo, but I wanted to make it large enough to show the tarnish and gunk is gone without harsh chemicals or funky smelling stuff!  I haven't tried this on anything but my silver chains so far. If I try it on anything else, I'll let you know.

Come see what's new!
Shop Now


 Create an Origami Owl Living Locket today at StoriedCharms.com

 

Like us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Join us on Pinterest Send us an Email

Join our Team and start your own Origami Owl Business!

Origami Owl Custom Jewelry at StoriedCharms

2 comments: